Begonia ‘Starburst’ is a variety of begonia, a flowering plant known for its attractive foliage and vibrant flowers. This rhizomatous begonia hybrid has a tight mounding form that is both elegant and bold, with sharply defined star-shaped leaves. Its golden hue stands out even more when combined alongside its maroon veins, giving it an otherworldly look no other plant can achieve!
Begonias are popular houseplants and outdoor plants in warmer climates. They come in various forms, including fibrous-rooted, rhizomatous, and tuberous types. Begonias are prized for their stunning flowers, which can be red, pink, white, or yellow, and their eye-catching foliage, which varies in shape, size, and color.To care for your begonia, follow these general guidelines:
- Soil: Use a well-draining potting mix that contains peat moss or coconut coir, perlite or pumice, and a small amount of compost or well-rotted manure.
- Light: Begonias thrive in bright, indirect light. Some varieties can tolerate partial shade or filtered sunlight, while others prefer more shade. Avoid placing your begonia in direct sunlight, as it can scorch the leaves.
- Water: Water your begonia when the top 1-2 inches of soil feels dry. Overwatering can cause root rot, while underwatering may lead to wilting or leaf drop. Ensure the plant has proper drainage to prevent standing water.
- Humidity: Begonias prefer higher humidity levels. You can increase humidity around your plant by placing it on a tray of pebbles and water or using a humidifier.
- Fertilizer: Apply a balanced, water-soluble fertilizer every 4-6 weeks during the growing season (spring and summer). Follow the package instructions for the correct dosage.
- Pruning: Regularly remove dead leaves and spent flowers to encourage new growth and maintain the plant’s appearance.
- Temperature: Begonias prefer temperatures between 60-75°F (16-24°C). Protect them from drafts, sudden temperature changes, and extreme cold.
By following these care instructions, your begonia should thrive and add beauty to your garden or indoor space.