Allium schoenoprasum, Fine leaf-chives, is an easy-to-grow herb that adds a delicious onion flavor to dishes. To plant this hardy perennial in your garden, follow these simple steps:
- Choose a sunny spot with well-drained soil. Allium schoenoprasum will tolerate some shade, but prefers full sun for optimal growth and flower production.
- Amend the soil with compost or other organic matter before planting to ensure good drainage and increase nutrient content.
- Plant in early spring or fall when the weather is milder and the ground is moist. It can also be planted as a fall crop for early spring harvest!
- Space plants 6-12 inches apart to allow room for their foliage to spread without overcrowding other plants in the garden bed.
- Water regularly during their first season of growth to establish a healthy root system and promote vigorous growth.
- Fertilize lightly once or twice per year in the spring and summer months to boost flowering potential and keep your chives looking their best!
- If desired, divide older clumps every 3-5 years in late winter or early spring – this will help reinvigorate the plant’s energy and make sure it stays productive over time!
With proper care, Allium schoenoprasum makes a great addition to any garden – not only can you use its flavorful leaves for cooking but its attractive flowers attract pollinators too!
There are no reviews yet.